Queen of Shadows SPOILER Discussion
I just want to start by saying that I LOVED this book! Before this book was released, I was hearing A LOT of negative stuff being said about this book. On top of that, I was spoiled for this book…a lot (Click here). But, I can assure you that this book is worth the read! One suggestion I would make is to read The Assassin’s Blade before jumping into this one. There are numerous characters from that book introduced in Queen of Shadows.
END OF NON-SPOILER
Now let’s get into the fun stuff! WARNING: This is actually all over the place.
DORIAN AND DEMONS
- We open up the book with a Dorian chapter, which was honestly the most depressing thing ever! Dorian didn’t deserve to have that stupid collar on him! All throughout the book, I would die a little reading about not only him, but the other possessed people.
- Speaking of other possessed people, can we please talk about Roland? I was starting to like him in Crown of Midnight, why would you do that Sarah?
- Another possessed person we should talk about is Kaltain. I really loved Kaltain in this book! She was a bitch in Throne of Glass, but Queen of Shadows really redeemed her for me. The fact that she could fight off the demon inside of her with her magic was really interesting. Also, she had MAGIC! Shadowfire, I think that’s what it was. I loved that SO SO much!
- Let’s talk about Aelin and Chaol for a second. I loved the direction this book took with their relationship. I’m not talking about the beginning of the book, because that was depressing despite the fact that I don’t ship them together. But at the end, they earn each other’s trusts back and go save Dorian and its AWESOME!
MANON THE BADASS
- I don’t want to talk about the climax yet so let’s talk about one of my new favourite characters, Manon. I LOVE Manon so much. The more I read about her, the more I become hooked to her character. I think Manan’s whole story arc is her becoming more human and we definitely see more of that side of her in this book.
- When Asterin was telling Manon about the time she fell in love, I was almost in tears. What the Matron did to Asterin was terrible and I’m so glad that Manon is finally realizing that her grandmother isn’t an idol.
- There was also Elide. I wasn’t that big of a fan of hers. I did still enjoy her chapters though. The way Manon took her under her wing while still seeming not entirely good was really well done. I also wonder what kind of magic Elide might have. She’s half Fae and half Ironteeth witch, which is EPIC.
- That scene where Manon goes to rescue Elide was amazing! Manon is such a badass!
- There was also the fact that Kaltain dressed up to look like Elide so that Elide and Manon could escape and Kaltain could burn down Morath
- Kaltain burnt down a third of Morath.
- Also, Elide is now looking for Celaena Sardothien. I predict that Elide gonna ask Aelin about it and Aelin’s gonna tell her that Celaena is dead or something like that.
LET’S RESCUE AEDION
- Let’s talk about the Aedion rescue scene. I was a little skeptical at first when we teamed up with Arobynn, but the payoff was worth it! I’m in love with these two cousins.
- Another thig to add, I can’t believe Aelin was about to kill Dorian! Well, I can believe but I DON’T WANT TO! I was so scared that she was gonna do something to him, even though he was evil and going to hurt her or Aedion, but I was spoiled so I knew he lived. I honestly have NO clue how I would’ve survived this book had I not known Dorian wasn’t gonna die.
NESRYN AND CHAOL BECAUSE I SHIP IT
- I have two words for you: Nesryn Faliq. That girl is a badass. I love her and Chaol together so much! That scene in the temple where she made Chaol promise to walk back out of the castle was heartbreaking! Especially since he literally can’t walk out.
- Speaking of Chaol, I can’t believe he’s in a wheelchair! That was the one thing from my spoilers that I thought wasn’t true! I really didn’t want that to happen. At least he’ll be with Nesryn on that journey to the healers!
LYSANDRA THE GHOST LEOPARD
- Okay, I haven’t about Lysandra yet! Another bitch that I ended up loving! I am SO SO glad that Aelin finally has another girl friend. After Nehemia, I was worried that she wouldn’t have any more girl friends. Thankfully Lysandra came along and I love their relationship!
- Also, can we talk about how Lysandra’s a shape-shifter? Oh my god, I want to be Lysandra RIGHT NOW! The whole ghost leopard thing was BADASS.
ROWAN A BOAT WITH AEDION (SEE WHAT I DID THERE…HOW DO YOU NOT SHIP IT)
- Rowan Whitethorn. I still love him, but I honestly preferred him in Heir of Fire. I think it has to do with the whole romance thing, but not in the way you think.
- Aedion is Gavriel’s son. Rowan is basically Gavriel’s brother. Does that kind of make Rowan Aedion’s uncle? I loved Aedion and Rowan’s banter. I felt really bad for Aedion when he found out that Aelin lied to him about the blood oath. But, their protectiveness of Aelin was so funny!
- I was so scared that Aedion or Rowan was gonna in those tunnels with the wyrdhounds. Thank God Lorcan showed up and then when he was getting defeated, thank God ghost leopard Lysandra showed up. Even if it caused her to throw up on Lorcan later. Which was hilarious after I found out she wasn’t dying.
- Speaking of the wyrdhounds, I’m still confused as to how those work. And are they made out of the stone? Because I thought they were, but I have a feeling they actually weren’t. I feel like they were like those demon babies.
- THOSE DEMON BABIES. That was disgusting.
LET’S BE REAL THIS WAS YOUR FAVOURITE PART
- THE AELIN AND MANON FIGHT SCENE. That was the best thing ever! I also didn’t know who to root for.
- I’m kind of surprised that Manon was tricked by the wyrdmarks. She doesn’t seem like the kind to fall for something like that.
- I’m so glad that Aelin saved Manon. Because if she didn’t, then there would’ve been problems.
- And Manon’s the reason Dorian wasn’t killed! Thank-you for that message Manon, you have saved my heart and soul.
SAVING DORIAN (BECAUSE IT DIDN’T TAKE YOU LONG ENOUGH)
- Let’s talk about that final climax with Aelin and Dorian. I still can’t believe Dorian stabbed her! Again, I know that Dorian was evil and possessed, but STILL.
- Also, from the moment Lorcan told us about the ring, I knew they were gonna use it on Dorian. And I was right!
- The second best fight scene was obviously between Dorian and Aelin. That was so intense because I didn’t want either of them to get hurt!
- When Aelin and Dorian combined their magic to take down the king…HOW DO YOU NOT SHIP IT?
- When the King says he was possessed the whole time, I don’t know man. We saw what happened to Dorian when he was possessed. He also said that the only reason he had those towers up was to prevent Perrington from discovering Dorian’s magic. Because, you know, Perrington’s the real villain.
- Dorian killed his father and it was about damn time!
- HE ALSO SHATTERED THE GLASS CASTLE, WHICH WAS HORRIFIC AND MAGNICENT AT THE SAME TIME!
- CHAOL SACRIFICED HIMSELF. FOR DORIAN.
- That was the second time I was almost brought to tears.
- And now he’s Dorian’s Second!
- AND CHAOL’S THE REASON DORIAN BROKE FREE! THAT SCENE ALSO HAD MY ALMOST IN TEARS.
- Also, Perrington’s the big bad? I mean we all already hate him, so let’s make him the Valg King!
THE BONE YARD
- I never talked about the bone temple. It was creepy.
- I never would’ve thought that the Valg King wasn’t actually killed. These stories are brought up so briefly that when you see how they relate, it’s like a lightbulb goes off in your head.
I FORGOT ABOUT AROBYNN
- I completely forgot about stupid, mean, rude, disgusting, greedy Arobynn. I’m so glad Lysandra killed him.
- I was so scared when he put the ring on Aelin! God Aelin, why are you such a good actor?
- He deserved to die.
- Also, HE WAS JEALOUS OF ROWAN! HE WAS JEALOUS OF ROWAN!
OBVIOUSLY THE MOST IMPORTANT PART LAST
- While I’m still rooting for Dorian and Aelin as endgame, I can say I have back up ships to fall onto because I doubt this will work out.
- The moment Rowan showed up in Rifthold. I shipped it. I didn’t ship it at all in Heir of Fire, and I was scared I wasn’t going to ship in this book, that one scene of Rowan and Aelin hugging had me sold. That is literally perfection.
- I’m trash for shipping this but…I SHIP DORIAN AND MANON! I’ll be honest, I read part of their meeting chapter by accident before the book was out, but in context, I really love them. I mean, Manon told Aelin that Dorian was still in there AND she came back to see him after his collar was off AND Dorian remembered her. Slightly. I’m sorry.
- I obviously ship Nesryn and Chaol. I mean, who doesn’t?
- Another ship I meantioned was Aedion and Rowan. Another trashy ship, someone should just throw me out!
- Because the previous one is NEVER going to happen, I also kind of Lysandra and Aedion? Come on guys, she pounces on him as a ghost leopard.
And I think I covered everything! If there’s anything I missed, let me know in the comments below!